The British Archaeological Society classified Lewes as one of 51 towns in the British Isles worthy of special attention. The Friends of Lewes Society has played a major part in ensuring that the town retains that special classification despite constant pressure for development.
- We play an active part in planning decisions affecting the town, in continual liaison with the South Downs National Park Authority, County, District, & Town Councils, and other relevant Lewes associations.
- We undertake or support projects to preserve and enhance the fabric of the town.
- We organise meetings, debates, visits, and lectures on matters of interest relating to Lewes.
- We give awards to good projects that enhance the character of the town.
- We write and sponsor publications about Lewes.
- We produce cards, prints, tea-towels, and maps illustrating Lewes.