The redevelopment of the Lewes North Street Quarter is one of the most significant planning applications submitted since the South Downs National Park came into existence, and the largest in Lewes since it became part of the National Park.
The new development is to be on a 15-acre brownfield site to the immediate north west of the centre of Lewes, which will regenerate the area around North Street and the Phoenix Industrial Estate and reconnect it to the heart of the town.
The previous joint owners of the site, Santon North Street Ltd and Lewes District Council, submitted a ‘hybrid planning application’ to SDNPA consisting of a ‘detailed planning application’ for phase 1 plus an ‘outline planning application’ for phases 2 and 3. SDNPA approved the proposal subject to conditions in December 2015. Full planning permission was obtained in April 2019.
The scheme was to deliver 416 new homes, 40 per cent of them affordable, 140,000 sq ft of workspace accommodating 475 registered full-time jobs, a public square, cafés and galleries, new riverside walkways, including a foot and cycle bridge across the river, as well as a health centre to serve 26,000 patients. It also includes a large undercroft carpark, to support the wider town centre and tourism in the town. Importantly, flood defences will be provided.
However in April 2021, the eco-developer Human Nature acquired the part of the site owned by MAS REI, and aims to submit a different scheme for planning permission in the early part of 2022.
The Friends of Lewes has devoted considerable time and work over the years liaising with the developers of the North Street Quarter redevelopment, including chairing the Sounding Board which aims to influence details of the design and landscape aspects as the scheme evolved.
Friends of Lewes Consultation Responses on the Lewes North Street Quarter development:
- Friends of Lewes statement on the recently approved North Street Quarter Development, December 2015
- Friends of Lewes response to Consultation on North Street Industrial Estate, Lewes, submitted amendments, October 2015, SDNP/15/01146/FUL , November 2015
- Lewes North Street Quarter planning application – Friends of Lewes response. April 2015
- North Street Quarter Development – FoL statement. April 2014
- Friends of Lewes statement on the North Street” Phoenix Quarter” Lewes, December 2012
- Planning Vision for the North Street Area. January 2007 [pdf]
To explore other Friends of Lewes statements and submissions to the planning authorities on this development, use the search box at top right, and see the Friends of Lewes Newsletters.