Who we are
The Friends of Lewes, founded in 1952, is the Lewes Civic Society, a registered charity (No. 258756) with over 400 members. Although wholly independent, we are allied to the national organization Civic Voice, a national umbrella body for similar groups.
Our mission is to conserve and enhance the key aspects of the town – its history, distinctive buildings and the natural environment. We aim to keep Lewes special.
How we are run
- Constitution: Our Constitution sets out our objectives and goals.
- Meetings and talks: We hold an Annual General Meeting, providing a formal opportunity to allow members to put their views forward. In addition, we arrange talks on a wide range of topics relating to Lewes. These events are listed in the Diary.
- Communications: We keep members up to date via our Facebook page as well as the website and regular emails. We publish regular Newsletters and an Annual Report.
- Committees: We work through various committees and working groups.
- Publications and Merchandise: From time to time, we produce publications about Lewes. We also offer a range of merchandise with a Lewes flavour.
We invite you to become a member, whether you live or work in Lewes, or just enjoy visiting our town.