Our objectives (set out in full in our Constitution) are:
- To promote high standards of town planning, development and design in Lewes
- To promote the conservation and improvement of features of historic or public interest, and of the physical and natural environment in Lewes
- To promote improvements in Lewes’ built environment and its social, cultural and economic vibrancy
- To promote continued free access to Lewes’ public spaces
- To stimulate public interest in, and care for, the beauty, history and character of the town
- To co-operate with public authorities and other bodies in fulfilling these objectives
Our goal is to ensure that, when changes to buildings or the natural environment are proposed, the unique character of our town is treated with care and respect. We work with and seek to influence other bodies and agencies for the benefit of all those living and working in our town. We liaise with the South Downs National Park Authority, the County, District and Town Councils, and other relevant Lewes bodies, particularly on planning matters. We also liaise with the Environment Agency and Historic England. We are represented on the steering group developing the Neighbourhood Plan.
We have a wide range of interests and activities.