The Ambassadors of both Russia and Finland will be attending the re-dedication of the Russian Memorial in the churchyard at St John sub Castro.
They will join the Mayor of Lewes, Cllr Ruth O’Keeffe, the Chair of Lewes District Council, Cllr Michael Chartier, and representatives from the Aland Islands, members of the Friends of Lewes, and the Anglo-Finnish Society at the ceremony.
The memorial is to the 28 Finnish soldiers who died as prisoners in Lewes during the Crimean War of 1854-56 and are buried in the churchyard. They were from the Aland Islands and serving in the Russian Army.
The ceremony is due to start at 12 noon and include a blessing of the memorial and wreath-laying. All are welcome to attend. Afterwards there will be a reception in the church.
There is more information in the Sussex Express.
The Russian Memorial (Wikipedia image)