The new Garden of Peace, next to the Maltings Car Park in the Castle Precincts, was formally opened by the town mayor, John Lamb, on 12th June 2019. This project, a long-running Friends of Lewes aspiration, was jointly funded by the Friends, the Town and District Councils and the South Downs National Park Authority, together with some private donations from town residents.
Originally a part of the private garden of Castlegate House, the then owner, Frank Frankfort Moore, built a garden of peace here between 1910 and 1915. By the 1930s the ownership had passed to the county council, who built the car park, and Frankfort Moore’s garden of peace was neglected, fell into disrepair over time, and became known as the Magic Circle. In recent years it was derelict and overgrown.
The Heritage Interpretation Board at the Lewes Garden of Peace: